Lopra is located in Lopransfjųršur-inlet on Sušuroys east coast.
The village was founded in 1834.
Lopra used to have a whaling-station. That was a kind of slaughterhouse or factory that bought whales from the whaling-ships. Whaling was an important source of revenue in first half of the 20th century. The whales were harpooned in the sea around the islands and then towed to the whaling-stations of which there were a few of in the Faroe Islands.
As the amount of the big whales decreased this industry stopped. The whaling-station in Lopra was closed
down in 1953.
Today Lopra has some fishing-industry on the harbour.
In the beginning of the 1980s some drilling after oil was done on land close to Lopra. They drilled down to 2000 meters. Gas was found but unfortunately no oil. In 1996 they drilled down to a depth of 3500 meters. Still no oil was found but the results from the drilling had some value to the later search for oil offshore.
From the road just above Lopra it is possible to take a short walk to the west coast of the island. From the top of the vertical bird cliffs there is a breath taking view over the sea deep down below.