Glyvrar is one of several villages on the eastside of the Skįlafjųršur-inlet that have grown into one 10 kilometer long village.
Skįlafjųršur-inlet is located on Eysturoy.
In Glyvrar there is a museum called Bygdasavnid Forni.
The church in Glyvrar is originally from 1927 but it was heavily restored in 1981.
From 1903 to 1928 there was a school for navigators in Glyvrar. Graduates from here would become masters of fishing-ships.