Faroeislands.dk All villages on the Faroe Islands.

Sandvík

  

Akrar
Ánir
Argir
Árnafjřrđur
Břur
Dalur
Depil
Eiđi
Elduvík
Fámjin
Frođba Fuglafjřrđur Funningsfjřrđur
Funningur
Gásadalur
Gjógv
Glyvrar
Gřta
Gřtueiđi
Gřtugjógv
Haldarsvík
Haraldssund
Hattarvík
Hellur

Hestur
Hósvík
Hov
Hoyvík
Húsar
Húsavík
Hvalba
Hvalvík
Hvannasund
Hvítanes
Innan Glyvur
Kaldbak
Kaldbaksbotnur
Kirkja
Kirkjubřur
Klaksvík
Kolbanargjógv
Kollafjřrđur
Koltur
Kunoy
Kvívík
Lambareiđi
Lambi

Langasandur
Leirvik
Leynar
Ljósá
Lopra
Miđvágur
Mikladalur
Morskranes
Múli
Mykines
Nes, Eysturoy
Nes, Vágur
Nesvík
Nólsoy
Norđdepil
Norđoyri
Norđadalur
Norđskáli
Norđtoftir
Oyndarfjřrđur
Oyrarbakki
Oyrareingir

Oyri
Porkeri
Rituvík
Runavík
Saksun
Saltangará
Saltnes
Sandavágur
Sandur
Sandvík
Selatrađ
Signabřur
Skálafjřrđur
Skálavík
Skáli
Skarvanes
Skipanes
Skopun
Skúvoy
Skćlingur
Stóra Dimun
Strendur
Streymnes

Stykkiđ
Sumba
Sund
Svínáir
Svínoy
Syđradalur, K.
Syđradalur, S.
Syđrugřta
Sřldarfjřrđur
Sřrvágur
Tjřrnuvík
Toftir
Tórshavn
Trongisvágur
Trřllanes
Tvřroyri
Vágur
Vatnsoyrar
Velbastadur
Vestmanna
Viđareiđi
Vikarbyrgi
Ćđuvík
Řravik
Name: Sandvík Municipality: Hvalbiar (list of municipalities) Leave cursor on image to see image text 
Population 113 (01.01.06) Football team: -  
Zip: FO 860 Rowing Club: -  
Location: N61°38'16 W6°55'19      
         

Sandvík is the northern-most village on Suđuroy.
It is connected to the road system of the island through a 1500 meters long tunnel located pretty high in the mountains.
As the name implies there is a sandy beach in Sandvík.

There is a small museum in the centre of the village. It is located in a traditional Faeroese house from 1860.

A narrow road leads from Sandvík to the west coast. The nature here is magnificent. Vertical bird-cliffs form the coast here. Ásmundarstakkur is a 97 meters high detached rock on which thousands of puffins and other seabirds are nesting.

In the Icelandic saga, Faereyingasaga, Sandvík is the place where Sigmundur Brestisson is murdered after his long swim from Skúvoy in an attempt to flee from Tróndur i Gřtu.

In 1349 the place was deserted. The inhabitants were all killed by the plague ‘The Black Death’.
In 1816 the place was inhabited again.

The church in Sandvík was built in Frođba in 1840. Later it was moved to Tvřroyri and finally in 1908 it was
moved to Sandvík.

Sandvík was actually called Hvalvík (Bay of Whales) until 1913. The inhabitants changed the name to Sandvík because they were annoyed by the fact that their mail was confused with mail to Hvalvík on the island Streymoy.

 
         
Reference