Argir, once a village south of Tˇrshavn , has grown and is now merged with Tˇrshavn .
In 1997 it joined the municipality of Tˇrshavn .
In recent years more and more houses were built in Argir and the village or quarter has grown high into the hills. The uppermost part of Argir is now so far away from Tˇrshavn that a car is practically needed to be able to live there. In return the area offers a magnificent view over the sea and the capital.
There is a cosy boat harbour with boathouses in Argir.
The church in Argir was built in 1974.
From the 16th century there was a leprosy-hospital in Argir. Some paupers were living there as well. When the leprosy was exterminated in 1750 the hospital was turned into a workhouse for the poor.